Skip to main content

Review: A Beautiful Defeat: Find True Freedom and Purpose in Total Surrender to God by Kevin Malarkey with Matt Jacobson

Review: A Beautiful Defeat: Find True Freedom and Purpose in Total Surrender to God
Kevin Malarkey with Matt Jacobson
Nelson Books
2014

I have to say that I requested this book for review because someone else said they didn’t like it, not for any more worthy reason.  So did I like it or not?  I liked it, but didn’t like the implications for my life.  

The defeat that is beautiful is of course the total surrender to God.  That requires all of me, mine, and whatever else I have become attached to.  Malarkey puts out the challenges straight and without any fancy foot work trying to sidestep what the biblical text says.  His final word resembles the Nike™ slogan we all know.  

His ten steps are discussed clearly and with examples that are even more clear.  The appendices provide a review and a list of the Bible verses pertaining to each step.  While I am not a fan of dividing things into ten steps, or twelve steps which some programs use, it does make it easier to look at and even follow which is the point.  So if you are looking for some easy-peasy methods, this is not the book for you.  If you are looking for a way to hedge your life and clean it up a little, again, this is not the book for you.  

The author knows and makes clear that the surrender he has discussed is not easy, clean, or a onetime deal.  It is just the opposite of all that and more.  I appreciate his honesty and openness as well as his encouragement.  His years of counseling have not been wasted.

This book was provided by the publisher in return for a review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense by Dr. Larry Crabb

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense Dr. Larry Crabb Baker Books 2018 I chose this book because the title intrigued me.   When God’s Ways Make No Sense.    There have been plenty of times when that seemed truer than I’d like to admit.   Are we even allowed to say something like that?   Even if we think it.   So, an author willing to take on that topic had my attention. And mostly because I wanted his take on what to do about it? As it turns out Crabb pretty much gave away his case very early on in his book with a single scripture quote.   The basic idea is God is GOD and we are not.   His motives and actions are incomprehensible to mankind and He owes no explanation for them either.   Crabb admits near the end of his book that he is not a theologian which I knew going into this book, but his arguments are theology.   Or at least I think so.   I found his repeated circling the topic a bit frustrating. ...

Review: Portraits of Devotion by Beth Moore

Review: Portraits of Devotion Beth Moore B&H Publishing Group 2014 I absolutely loved this little book---even before I read any of it.   It is beautifully bound and printed. The cover is a soft imitation leather, embossed with lovely scroll work.   Inside the pages repeat the scroll work at the borders, and printed in a forest green tone coordinated with the cover scroll work…I could go on and on just about this physical presentation of this book, but some of you might want to know about the content. It is drawn from several of Beth Moore’s Personal Reflection Series that centered on the lives of Jesus, David, John, and Paul.   I cannot comment on whether the individual devotional readings have been edited for this book as I have no experience with that series, but the devotions presented in Portraits of Devotion are well done.   They are insightful, encouraging, and do not stray from the context of the biblical passage chosen for the day. ...

Review: Anatomy of the Soul

Anatomy of the Soul Curt Thompson. M.D. Salt River, an imprint of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 2010 This is the most helpful,insightful book I’ve read in a long time. There’s advice, guidance, explanations and examples to illustrate discussion offered by the author. Best of all, for me anyway, it explains some of what I had suspected about how things work all along. Dr. Thompson links human anatomy and physiology to the spiritual part of our being throughout the text. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. And God uses His creation of the physical body in amazing ways. The author does a great job showing God’s wisdom found in research and the discoveries that science has made recently in neuroscience. Whether science wants to or not, it is describing the wonders of creation. Read this book. The text will require thought, evaluation, and time to go through. The author’s writing style is quite readable and he covers the material well. While this isn’t a how to or self help boo...