Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Review: Praying with Eyes Wide Open: A Life-Changing Way to Talk with God by Sherry Harney



Review: Praying with Eyes Wide Open: A Life-Changing Way to Talk with God
Sherry Harney
2017
Baker Books

 
Praying with eyes wide open?  For some, I guess, that idea borders on scandalous.  But fear not, this book has lots more than that in it.  It might have been the day I read the first few chapters of this book, but they just did not speak to me.  Nothing.  I was ready to put it down.  But, instead I picked it up again.  

Cover ArtSections 2, 3, and 4 of this book sang to me like the first section didn’t.  I am glad now that I came back to it.  So, what’s the deal with the first few chapters?  I suspect since I have read so many books on prayer, that it was too familiar.  Or maybe it was the weather or something.  The rest touched on several areas from a fresh perspective and I found that very helpful, a joy to read.  Uncle Seamus skipping by the lake which she borrowed from Brennan Manning filled my imagination.  Her son offering a lady his ice cream dessert in a restaurant made me grin.  Her prayer guide on page 164 will become a fixture on my frig after I make about 5000 copies.  Ok, maybe a few less than that, but such a simple idea works.  

So, after a rough start I can say I am glad I finished this book.  What makes this book different than many I have read is the tone and the helpful ideas she provides at the end of each chapter.  I may even give that first section another chance.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment