Skip to main content

Review: The Little French Bistro by Nina George



Review: The Little French Bistro
Nina George
Crown
2017

The Little French Bistro by Nina George
I have to admit that I'm not a fan of romance novels, but I think this one goes beyond the boy meets girl idea.  By a bunch.  If adults had coming of age stories this one would fit there.  Marianne travels a road many people I know would love to, but fear taking the steps needed. And that is the basis of this book.  Taking the steps.  Joy, sorrow, whatever comes and keep on taking the steps.  

I agree with many of the comments already made about George's ability to build wonderful characters, paint scenes that vibrate with energy, and tell a story too.  Her writing touches the heart and not in some sappy, maudlin way.  A place of real emotions and desire.  Speaking of desire---her intimate scenes are just that, intimate.  In body and mind.  And not for just spicing things up a bit.  She captures the true nature of intimacy.  

Lucky breaks all along the way are my nit with this work, but I'm willing to go with that.  That's how into her writing I am.  Viva Nina!!  I enjoyed this book.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.


Comments

  1. I was at this place last week. This is such a joy as a place for food! I had a beautiful time here. It reminded me of other event venues in the city. A beautiful, wonderful place that had excellent atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense by Dr. Larry Crabb

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense Dr. Larry Crabb Baker Books 2018 I chose this book because the title intrigued me.   When God’s Ways Make No Sense.    There have been plenty of times when that seemed truer than I’d like to admit.   Are we even allowed to say something like that?   Even if we think it.   So, an author willing to take on that topic had my attention. And mostly because I wanted his take on what to do about it? As it turns out Crabb pretty much gave away his case very early on in his book with a single scripture quote.   The basic idea is God is GOD and we are not.   His motives and actions are incomprehensible to mankind and He owes no explanation for them either.   Crabb admits near the end of his book that he is not a theologian which I knew going into this book, but his arguments are theology.   Or at least I think so.   I found his repeated circling the topic a bit frustrating. That said, the book does provoke thoughts from th

Review: What is the Mission of the Church? Making Sense Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission. by Kevin DeYoung and Gregory D. Gilbert

DeYoung and Gilbert have authored a thoughtful look at the mission of the church. The first task they undertook was to sort through the different ideas and definitions of mission. They do arrive at what seems a reasonable definition, which means I generally agree with it. Much of the book is devoted to developing their theme that mission and ministries can be distinctly different, even to the place of losing sight of one another altogether. Another point they make later is that the church, a Christian, and a bunch of Christians do not necessarily have the same focus, mission, or ministry. That is a very important point and I think needs to revisited and expanded. The confusion that these authors see about the mission of the church is based in that area, I think. But, as well written as this book is, the crowning glory for it is the epilogue, a fictitious conversation between a young church starter and a mature pastor. If for no other reason than this epilogue, this bo

Review: Remarkable! Maximizing Results Through Value Creation by Dr. Randy Ross and David Salyers

Review: Remarkable! Maximizing Results Through Value Creation Dr. Randy Ross and David Salyers Baker Books 2016 Assessment, Alignment, Adjustment, Advancement, all woven into what the publishers have called a leadership parable.   It’s tale of a chat at a car repair shop that leads the wisdom seeker into change.   His business prompted the conversation, but, as with lots of things in life, the advice and instruction he receives goes deeper, but the focus remains on his business questions.   Ross and Salyers parable reads easily, is a bit pedantic to suit me, but gives the patient reader plenty to ponder.   Within the four sections listed above illustrations from car repair lead to application elsewhere, as is the way of the parable.   The meat comes in the last few chapters.   The first half is the ground work.   The rewards are to those that read both, even though I nearly set the book aside in that first half. Summary graphics in the appendix tie it together in