Skip to main content

Marriage, Prop 8, and Other Stuff

Need to put up a post.  Need to!  Just gotta do it!  Why?  Don't know. Just want to express myself I guess.  Why does anyone do this?  

Celebrated another wedding anniversary last week.  A whole bunch of years.  Had no idea when I got married I'd see this many years go by.  The young can't think in those terms.  Not sure the old can either.  I'll let you know when I get there.  Took the day and visited a Renoir exhibit and ate a cheesesteak sans the cheese.  Enjoyed it.  Even decided to renew the contract for another year.  That's the way we've done since the beginning so why not continue the tradition?  Was it easy staying married?  Most of the time.  Yeah, there were times that one more day seemed impossible, but I guess it was possible since I'm still here.  Maybe that's how it works.  

Speaking of marriage---Prop 8 in California is history now.  Unless the Supreme Court does something unexpected.  The idea was lame to begin with and the court proceedings even more so from the media reports.  So many questions attached to this issue that I don't know how to reconcile it all in my head.  Assuming that's even possible. Are some things so disparate that they cannot be reconciled?  I suspect so, but not sure if that applies to this issue for me.  Still pondering and still realizing that what I think doesn't matter to anyone else.  I just need to figure it out for my own peace of mind.


So now that the oil isn't gushing into the gulf what will become of all the calls for real regulation and inspection?  Or the R&D to find faster, better, safer ways to minimize the damage from the next leaking well?  Umm, probably the same as before.  Nada.  The news coverage has already died off and soon it'll be like other disasters like Haiti or Iraq.  Forgotten in the need for ratings.  And Congress?  Oh, that's right.  It's an election year.  No time to do the right thing, must get re-elected.  Promises and more promises and little or no action.  Can't wait for November.  Guess that makes me an anti-incumbent voter.  Keep voting them out until I get one that will do his job.  Can't screw it any more than it already is IMO.


So much for the opinions.  They are mine though, so I guess I still have the right to say so in a public area.  If not I suppose the thought police will banish me to somewhere lovely.


Haven't mentioned my cat lately.  He's settled in nicely now.  Still plays a little and loves to snoop.  Open door = invitation to enter.  Closed door = opportunity to practice opening said door.  Related to the open door he thinks the outdoors is just another area to explore and tries to do so any chance he gets.  Not a good idea though, so with some help form a spray bottle he doesn't bolt through as frequently any more.  Another cat maxim is water = bad.  That one supercedes the open door maxim.  Works quite well as a deterrent.  Glad somebody suggested it to us.


This has gotten longer than I anticipated so it must be time to quit.  So I will.















 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense by Dr. Larry Crabb

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense Dr. Larry Crabb Baker Books 2018 I chose this book because the title intrigued me.   When God’s Ways Make No Sense.    There have been plenty of times when that seemed truer than I’d like to admit.   Are we even allowed to say something like that?   Even if we think it.   So, an author willing to take on that topic had my attention. And mostly because I wanted his take on what to do about it? As it turns out Crabb pretty much gave away his case very early on in his book with a single scripture quote.   The basic idea is God is GOD and we are not.   His motives and actions are incomprehensible to mankind and He owes no explanation for them either.   Crabb admits near the end of his book that he is not a theologian which I knew going into this book, but his arguments are theology.   Or at least I think so.   I found his repeated circling the topic a bit frustrating. That said, the book does provoke thoughts from th

Review: What is the Mission of the Church? Making Sense Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission. by Kevin DeYoung and Gregory D. Gilbert

DeYoung and Gilbert have authored a thoughtful look at the mission of the church. The first task they undertook was to sort through the different ideas and definitions of mission. They do arrive at what seems a reasonable definition, which means I generally agree with it. Much of the book is devoted to developing their theme that mission and ministries can be distinctly different, even to the place of losing sight of one another altogether. Another point they make later is that the church, a Christian, and a bunch of Christians do not necessarily have the same focus, mission, or ministry. That is a very important point and I think needs to revisited and expanded. The confusion that these authors see about the mission of the church is based in that area, I think. But, as well written as this book is, the crowning glory for it is the epilogue, a fictitious conversation between a young church starter and a mature pastor. If for no other reason than this epilogue, this bo

Review: Anatomy of the Soul

Anatomy of the Soul Curt Thompson. M.D. Salt River, an imprint of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 2010 This is the most helpful,insightful book I’ve read in a long time. There’s advice, guidance, explanations and examples to illustrate discussion offered by the author. Best of all, for me anyway, it explains some of what I had suspected about how things work all along. Dr. Thompson links human anatomy and physiology to the spiritual part of our being throughout the text. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. And God uses His creation of the physical body in amazing ways. The author does a great job showing God’s wisdom found in research and the discoveries that science has made recently in neuroscience. Whether science wants to or not, it is describing the wonders of creation. Read this book. The text will require thought, evaluation, and time to go through. The author’s writing style is quite readable and he covers the material well. While this isn’t a how to or self help boo