Skip to main content

Review: Beyond Opinion

Beyond Opinion
Living the Faith We Defend
Ravi Zacharias, Author and General Editor
Thomas Nelson
2007

Apologetics. Sounds imposing and I nearly missed this one because of that. Don’t make the same mistake. This book has been out in hardbound for a while, but just released in soft cover and I think that may help get it into more hands. It’s a compilation of articles that cover a wide range of topics including the “why bother with apologetics” lead piece. Further into the work the reader finds discussions related to atheism, Islam, Eastern religions and even science, all thoughtfully written and a great place to get an idea of the challenges to Christianity that are out there. As a general review or just a first look, this book offers a lot to the reader in its 350 or so pages.

But, wait there’s more. (Sorry, had to throw that out there.) Seriously though, I found the second section of the book, especially Cross Cultural Challenges by I’Ching Thomas, much more helpful in my current situation. Other readers may find a particularly helpful bit somewhere else along the way. I doubt that anyone will come away from this book empty handed.

Yes, this is a more difficult read than most. No, it’s not an academic read, but you will have to slow down and think about what is written if you intend to receive what they have to say. Personally, I think that is wonderful. Engaging with minds that have thought through what they believe and can articulate their views rationally is a find for those of us that want more. Content end notes are included and add depth to some of the discussions. Don’t skip them totally.

My only nit with this book is the smallish font size. I’m for saving all the trees we can, but in this case I’d sacrifice one more for the cause. I say scale down some of the short fiction pieces this publisher offers and use that paper for this book please.

Overall please take the time to read this book and share it among your friends. Better yet, talk about it with them over coffee or tea.

This book was furnished to me in exchange for this review by BookSneeze.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense by Dr. Larry Crabb

Review: When God’s Ways Make No Sense Dr. Larry Crabb Baker Books 2018 I chose this book because the title intrigued me.   When God’s Ways Make No Sense.    There have been plenty of times when that seemed truer than I’d like to admit.   Are we even allowed to say something like that?   Even if we think it.   So, an author willing to take on that topic had my attention. And mostly because I wanted his take on what to do about it? As it turns out Crabb pretty much gave away his case very early on in his book with a single scripture quote.   The basic idea is God is GOD and we are not.   His motives and actions are incomprehensible to mankind and He owes no explanation for them either.   Crabb admits near the end of his book that he is not a theologian which I knew going into this book, but his arguments are theology.   Or at least I think so.   I found his repeated circling the topic a bit frustrating. That said, the book does provoke thoughts from th

Review: Anatomy of the Soul

Anatomy of the Soul Curt Thompson. M.D. Salt River, an imprint of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 2010 This is the most helpful,insightful book I’ve read in a long time. There’s advice, guidance, explanations and examples to illustrate discussion offered by the author. Best of all, for me anyway, it explains some of what I had suspected about how things work all along. Dr. Thompson links human anatomy and physiology to the spiritual part of our being throughout the text. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. And God uses His creation of the physical body in amazing ways. The author does a great job showing God’s wisdom found in research and the discoveries that science has made recently in neuroscience. Whether science wants to or not, it is describing the wonders of creation. Read this book. The text will require thought, evaluation, and time to go through. The author’s writing style is quite readable and he covers the material well. While this isn’t a how to or self help boo

Review: The Little French Bistro by Nina George

Review: The Little French Bistro Nina George Crown 2017 I have to admit that I'm not a fan of romance novels, but I think this one goes beyond the boy meets girl idea.   By a bunch.   If adults had coming of age stories this one would fit there.   Marianne travels a road many people I know would love to, but fear taking the steps needed. And that is the basis of this book.   Taking the steps.   Joy, sorrow, whatever comes and keep on taking the steps.    I agree with many of the comments already made about George's ability to build wonderful characters, paint scenes that vibrate with energy, and tell a story too.   Her writing touches the heart and not in some sappy, maudlin way.   A place of real emotions and desire.   Speaking of desire---her intimate scenes are just that, intimate.   In body and mind.   And not for just spicing things up a bit.   She captures the true nature of intimacy.    Lucky breaks all along the way are my nit wit